An introduction to looking at and talking about art in a gallery for our younger visitors. Explore a wide range of interactive activities and collect stamps on your own collecting card. Create your own masterpiece in our art and craft session.
A carousel of activities to explore art in the major exhibition gallery.
This workshop is available as a single (45 minute) with 3 activities or double (1.5hr) session, with 6 activities. The double session gives 2 hours in Gainsborough’s House, including a break in our delightful walled garden (wet weather alternative available).
- A scavenger hunt activity with objects to find in the artworks
- Use the felt expressions board to explore different expressions. Use mirrors to look at our own faces, What expressions can we see in the portraits?
I can be a…
- Role play activity where children use their bodies to make the shapes of a tree, house, church, animal etc
Let’s tell a story
- Step into the picture and imagine what it is like, what might be happening / being said.
- Small world play activity. Making up a landscape with a felt floor in a frame and wooden waggon, animals, houses, church, bridge, water, trees etc – what can they spot in a landscape painting
Let’s dress up
- Dress up box with shawls, wig, hats, crook, stuffed dog, props, basket, masks on stick
- An art and craft session led by our artist team, based on the current major exhibition. Could include activities like printing, mark making, collaging, exploring colour, 3D work