- This event has passed.
Sudbury Silk Festival
September 7, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
To celebrate Sudbury’s rich weaving heritage, the town will launch its first annual Silk Festival. The festival will take place on Saturday 7 September, to coincide with Heritage Open Days which sees a rare opportunity to visit buildings that were formerly the cottages and houses of silk weavers and textile merchants. Join us and discover more about our rich heritage and celebrate Sudbury Silk.
The festival will feature:
• Exhibitions on the history of silk weaving and Sudbury’s fascinating architecture connected to the silk industry
• A programme of specialist talks from textile conservators and historians
• A talk by Liz Trenow, author of The Silk Weaver
• Evening lecture from a well-known fashion house
• A chance to meet contemporary textile artists, weavers, spinners and dyers along with the Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers
• Film that explores Sudbury Silk Stories
• Walking tours • Demonstrations of spinning and dyeing
• Children’s activities
• a special costume display at Gainsborough’s House.
To find out more, please visit sudbury silk festival website