Join the team developing Gainsborough’s House as one of the leading heritage attractions in East Anglia! Gainsborough’s House will be a major visitor attraction in the East of England as a world-class museum, art gallery, arts and study centre. It has just completed building four new exhibition galleries to display historic and contemporary exhibitions of international appeal and expand its ability to attract audiences. Due to open in November this year, the Front of House Assistant will be part of the team that helps to provide an excellent visitor experience.
This post is responsible to the Commercial Manager and based in Sudbury, Suffolk. The role of the Retail Assistant is to ensure every shop visitor has a superb experience and the shop runs smoothly. The successful candidate will ideally have retail experience, excellent people skills and demonstrable service skills. Good ICT skills and confidence using till systems are also required. You will be someone who can work under your own initiative and as part of a small team. A flexible, positive and pleasant approach is essential.
The vacancy is part of a three-week rota, with a rotational shift pattern of either 9.30 – 1.30 or 1.15 – 5.15 Monday to Friday, or 9.30 – 5.30 Saturday and Sunday. Applicants must be able to work this pattern of hours. Wages will be paid monthly as an average of 18 weekly hours
Applicants should send their completed application form with a covering letter to:
Trudy Pickerin, Gainsborough’s House, 46 Gainsborough Street, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 2EU or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: Return your applications by noon on Friday 28th October 2022.
To be part of a team ensuring every shop visitor has a superb experience and the shop runs smoothly, to make the shop as profitable as it can be. Experience of working in retail and using till systems would be helpful but not essential, you just need to be passionate about products and enjoy engaging with customers. To be friendly, approachable and enjoy working directly with the public.
Main Duties and Activities
- Providing a warm, friendly welcome to every customer when they visit the shop
- Developing a detailed knowledge of the shop ranges and the reasons the products sit within those ranges to sell products and the upselling of linked items confidently and proactively
- Serving customers, issuing tickets and processing Gift Aid using the EPOS till
- Obtaining a detailed knowledge of the till system including cashing up procedures
- Ensuring all retail spaces are kept clean, well-stocked and well-presented to provide visitors with the perfect shopping environment and atmosphere
- Helping to process stock deliveries, priced and correctly booked into the stock system
- Helping to maintain the accuracy of the EPOS System by ensuring the stock is correctly keyed at point of sale and customer returns, write-offs, price changes and supplier stock returns are administered according to retail guidelines
- Helping work towards and take responsibility for achieving sales targets including average transaction value and spend per customer
- Taking part in the annual stocktake
- Promoting Gainsborough’s House by engaging in conversation about the museum, collections, resources and services as asked
- Also be part of the retail team and offer support to the Front of House staff
- Developing a basic understanding about Gainsborough’s House, Thomas Gainsborough and the collections of other artists on display
- Being aware of the needs of visitors as they negotiate the shop helping to make it accessible to all visitors
- Helping to promote and encourage sales of the museum Guidebook and Gainsborough’s House memberships
- Following security procedures and being vigilant to help protect the contents of the shop
- Ensuring visitors’ safety by actively helping to evacuate during an emergency
- Complying with Gainsborough’s House policies and procedures and reporting any concerns to an appropriate person
- Acting as an Ambassador for Gainsborough’s House whilst on duty
- Other related tasks as deemed appropriate
|Skills & Experience||Service and public facing role experience;|
Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal;
Confidence in using till & digital systems;
Retail and merchandise selling experience desirable;
Demonstrable experience of working effectively as part of a team;
Integrity, diplomacy and professional skills to work effectively and to consult as appropriate.
|Knowledge & Qualifications|
GCSE grade A-D (Level 3 and above) in English, Maths and ICT
|Personal Attributes||An enthusiasm for the Heritage sector and an interest in developing heritage skills;|
Reliable and positive attitude;
Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with people at all levels;
Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
Adaptable and flexible;
Ability to work under pressure, dealing with peaks of activity and deploying resources effectively to meet deadlines;
Interest in art and the 18th century;
Willingness to work regular weekends, and some evenings and Bank Holidays.
Gainsborough’s House is committed to providing equality of opportunity for all staff and welcomes applications from all individuals for advertised jobs that match their skills and interests. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates.